Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Touching Tale

We are almost to Thanksgiving. A time when we should stop and remember all the blessings that we have, all that we have to be thankful for....gee, that really should be everyday shouldn't it?

I have been doing foreclosure and loss mitigation counseling for people who are past due, in default, and facing possible foreclosure on their homes for a non-profit agency. There is no charge to the client for this (more about this issue in another blog), the funding comes from grants. The number of people in trouble is very troubling, and it is getting worse, not better at present. There are some very touching stories among them, and since this month has both Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving I think one story is very pertinent.

I met with Joe the other day. Joe is a Vietnam veteran, a veteran of the Gulf War, and just returned from his third tour of duty in Afghanistan as a reservist for the Air Force in June. He was discharged in September. His wife and he live in the metro Atlanta area, she does work for a day care facility, and he has been searching for work since his return, to this point, with no success. As a result they have fallen past due on their mortgage and are struggling to make ends meet.

Joe is very concerned, is trying to do whatever he can to make some money, and, in his words, feels as if he is "drowning". Falling further behind without knowing what to do. I am fairly certain that we will be able to work something out with the lender and that he and his wife will not have to lose their home. But the situation itself is a statement on where we are at. Times are troubling.

When we finished our meeting he thanked me for my time and efforts, and we will continue to stay in touch as we try to work out a solution for the problem. I assured him that I had far more to thank him for, as he has done far more for me than I can ever do for him to repay him for his sacrifices.

As Veteran's Day is still in memory I honor him and all like him who have given so much so that we can be free. So that our way of life, our ideals, our freedom to worship, dissent, and vote, is maintained. As Thanksgiving approaches I give thanks to him and those who have kept the many reasons for thanks in place. I give thanks for the blessing of being in a position to help him and his wife, to tell him personally how much I and my family appreciate him.

I pray that we all focus on the many blessings that we have in the people around us, the wonderful life that we have, the love that we can all share, with or without "things", and remember that we can do this, not just on Thursday, but each and every day we live on this earth.

Tell someone today "thanks!". Thanks for just being them. It can make a much greater impact and difference than you might think.

No comments: