Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day

This country is, despite of having it's faults, the greatest country in the history of the earth. The freedoms we have are envied throughout the world. Our lifestyle, even in these difficult financial times, is admired nearly everywhere. Many of the problems we face from outside are due to that envy and admiration. There are those who cannot have what we do and are so consumed by it that they will do anything to tear us down, to control us and eliminate our freedom.

I grew up in the Vietnam era. I was 18 in 1969 and had to register for the draft. I actually still have my original draft card. It is somewhat tattered and it never ceases to amaze what it has survived considering that I basically carried it in my wallet through some very interesting experiences. The first draft "lottery" was held in 1969 and I went into the lottery in 1970. Believe me when I say this was NOT a lottery that anyone wanted to win. Not because people didn't want to serve, they just didn't want to serve in Viet Nam. I was fortunate that my number came up higher than the last number that would be drafted for that year. I did have a lot of friends who went, and have a lot of stories not only from them but about the whole protest era as well, but those are all for another time.

I have always felt very, very blessed to have been born in this country. I truly appreciate the opportunities we have, the freedoms that we enjoy, and would certainly fight to maintain them, not just for myself, but for my family and for generations to come. I admire greatly those that do, and those that have. I am very, very thankful to them. When I look at the number of people who have given their lives over the years to maintain our freedom, our way of life, our country, I am humbled greatly. For those that survived and, in many cases, suffered greatly for it I say THANK YOU.

I still get emotional every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner, see our flag, and realize what we have. Yes, we have our problems. Yes, we have our faults. But we have the freedom to dissent, to disagree, to even argue about what the solutions are. That freedom is precious, and must be maintained. I wish it were not true that we had to battle against others to keep it, but that is the reality of the world. I am glad that we have so many that are and have been willing to do so.

If you know a veteran, thank them this day. If you see one thank them. If you don't know one or see one, pray for them, and give thanks for them. I know I will.

No comments: